Hey ya’ll, summer is long gone and fall is finally here, that means one thing around these parts, its football time. Now whether that means heading out to get my son to football practice on time, or kicking back with the family watching some football on Sunday afternoon. We always need some snacks around. These sugar cookies really come in handy. They are super fun to make, and it doesn’t matter if its mom making them or the kids there is fun to be had all around. These keep well and can be made ahead of time and make a great go to snack.
This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe. I have found it to be the best one to use if you are gonna want to ice your cookies, and lets face it that’s the best part. Remember if you need any cooking or baking supplies head on over to my store where you will find some super deals on the equipment that I use. Stay tuned for my recipe on how to make the best royal icing. Its coming soon. There is a link below to a video of this recipe on the university of cookie.
- 3 c unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 c sugar (I use sugar that I’ve stored vanilla beans in)
- 2 sticks (salted) butter, cold & cut into chunks (I know I know, just trust me)
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, set aside.
- Cream the sugar and butter.
- Add the egg and extracts and mix.
- Gradually add the flour mixture and beat just until combined, (scraping down the bowl, especially the bottom).
- The dough will be crumbly, so knead it together with your hands as you scoop it out of the bowl for rolling (video on University of Cookie).
- Roll onto a floured surface and cut into shapes. Place on parchment lined baking sheets (I recommend freezing the cut out shapes on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before baking)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let sit a few minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.