This is one of my all time favorites for Thanksgiving side dishes. Southern cornbread dressing is a staple on our table for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It is so good and the smell of it cooking just brings a smile to your face. If you have never had cornbread dressing, let me tell ya, you are missing out. Don’t let it scare you it is really easy to make and if you feel like adding a little something extra to it, well it will turn out great each and every time.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 6 cups cornbread, crumbled
- 2 -4 cups herb stuffing mix
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in skillet; saute celery and onion till tender, about 3 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, combine cornbread, bread, celery and onions, sage and black pepper.
- Stir broth and beaten eggs into cornbread mixture; blend well
- Pour into prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Note* It works really great to add some cooked turkey or chicken in step 4.