Molasses cookies may be a year round favorite, but they are especially popular during the fall and Holiday season. This highly addictive, soft yummy cookie has a nice combination of dark brown sugar and molasses which pairs perfectly with ground cinnamon, ginger and cloves. They have a rich spicy flavor and a soft and chewy texture that causes kids and grownup’s to eat them by the handfuls.
I have very fond memories of sitting at my grandma’s kitchen table and eating these with a cup of coffee (really more of milk than coffee). It made me fell like a grown up , I was all of about 4 years old at the time lol.
I challenge you to make these this weekend and I bet these will be gone so fast that they will hardly make it to the cookie jar.Yum-O!
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar.
- Stir in egg and molasses and mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients and stir.
- Cover and chill till firm (1-2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Roll dough into small balls and roll in white sugar.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheet or you may use a baking mat.
- Bake at 350° for 9-10 minutes.
- Leave on sheet for one minute to set.
Note* Here is a + for you, the cookie dough can be frozen to make at a later time.