Pico de gallo is a thing of beauty. I use to only think it was for tacos, boy has that opinion changed. this stuff is so awesome it makes everything better, from breakfast to the 4th meal. I have only been making this at home for a short period of time now, gosh I had no idea what I was missing. Thank goodness I finally found the right mix to make it perfect. Do yourself a favor and make this for your family this weekend, they will love it, and it will be gone in a flash.
Pico de Gallo won’t keep very long in the fridge—probably 24 hours or so. After that, the sugars start to break down and it turns into a soupy mess. So it’s best to make it the same day you’ll want to serve it, though you certainly could do so several hours before.
- 5 whole Plum (roma) Tomatoes
- 1/2 whole Large (or 1 Small) Onion
- 3 whole Jalapeno Peppers
- Lime Juice
- Salt To Taste
- Chop jalapenos, tomatoes and onions into a very small dice. (Leave seeds in your jalapenos for a hotter pico). Adjust amount of jalapenos to your preferred temperature.
- Chop up a nice-sized bunch of cilantro. Just remove and discard the long leafless stems before chopping. No need to remove the leaves from the stems completely.
- Place all of these ingredients together in a bowl and give it a good stir
- Squeeze the juice of half of one lime into the bowl. Add salt to taste and stir again.