My grandma always made jams and jellys. We would have enough to last all year long and when we were all fighting for the last jar, well it was time to start canning again. I love this recipe for pear preserves. The trick to perfect pears is to take it slow and don’t rush it. Remember if you need any supplies please see the canning section in the store.
- 12 cups peeled, cored, and sliced pears
- 9 cups sugar
- 1/2 fresh lemon, sliced thin
- Cover pear slices with sugar and let stand overnight.
- Enough liquid will be produced to allow cooking without adding water.
- Stir to mix pears, sugar, and juice.
- Add lemon slices.
- Bring to simmer and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until pears are tender, clear, and caramel colored and liquid is consistency of honey. This will take 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Pour preserves into sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headroom and seal with sterilized lids.
- Place in water bath and bring to boil for 10 min to seal.
Back to Basics 286 5-Piece Home Canning Kit