When the end of summer is near you know its jelly making time in the south. We already talked about the mayhaws, now it is times for the muscadines. If mayhaws make the greatest jelly in the whole wide world well then muscadines run a very very close second. If you were raised in the south, you already know just what I am talking about. They make this just beautiful jelly, and I hear they make for a mighty fine wine too. Every time I go to the Smokey Mountains I have to stop and get me a few bottles of the sweet muscadine wine. Now on to the jelly. Ya’ll it is so easy to make. Do your self a favor and make ya up a batch this weekend and you will have bunches to give as Christmas presents. If you have never made jelly before just head on over to my store and you will find everything you need right there. Have fun!
- 3 cups prepared juice (buy about 2 lb. fully ripe muscadines)
- 1 cup water
- 1 box Sure-Jell fruit pectin
- 1/2 tsp butter
- 41/2 cups sugar
- Sterilize all jars, lids and seals as usual.
- Remove stems and blossom ends from muscadines and place in large saucepan. Add water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally. Crush cooked grapes.
- Place three layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently. Measure exactly 3 cups prepared juice into 6 or 8-qt. saucepot. You can add up to 1/2 cup of water for exact measure, if necessary (only if needed will lessen taste).
- Stir pectin into juice in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.
- Place jars in water bath that covers the lids and boil for 10min. Remove from water bath and let sit.