If your from the south then you probably already know about the treat that comes at the end of summer every year. The mayhaws are in bloom and its time to make the very best jelly on the planet. If you have never tried to make your own jelly, the time to start is now. It really is easy to make. Not only will you have plenty of jelly for the year to come, but you will also have a head start on Christmas. If you have any Yankee relatives or friends who can’t get this wonderful treat around their parts, well this makes for the perfect gift . They will love it. Remember if your in need of any canning or cooking supplies please see my store.
- 4 cups prepared juice (buy about 2-1/2 lb. fully ripe mayhaws)
- 4-1/2 cups water
- 1 box SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin
- 1/2tsp. butter or margarine
- 5 cups sugar, measured into separate bowl
- Sterilize all jars, lids and seals as usual.
- Remove stems and blossom ends from mayhaws and place in large saucepan. Add water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 min., stirring occasionally. Crush cooked mayhaws.
- Place three layers of damp cheesecloth or jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth. Tie cheesecloth closed; hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently. Measure exactly 4 cups prepared juice into 6 or 8-qt. saucepot. You can add up to 1/2 cup of water for exact measure, if necessary.
- Stir pectin into juice in saucepot. Add butter to reduce foaming. Bring mixture to full rolling boil on high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar. Return to full rolling boil and boil exactly 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle immediately into prepared jars, filling to within 1/8 inch of tops. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with two-piece lids. Screw bands tightly.
- Place jars in water bath that covers the lids and boil for 10min. Remove from water bath and let sit.