From cheap eats to smart kitchen ideas, check out these easy tips and tricks for saving money on your family’s food budget.
I know first hand that every dollar counts, especially when it comes to feeding your family. That’s why I wanted to compose a list of my best tips and tricks to help you save at every meal. You may be surprised to find out that a little trimming here and there adds up really quick. So I encourage you to read on, chose the ones you love and watch your savings add up.
- Look for markdowns: Learn what day your store marks down it’s perishables for quick sales on produce, bakery goods or meat. Plan to get there early, most of these markdowns are put out early in the morning and go fast.
- Freeze leftover yogurt: Fill your ice cube trays with extra yogurt and use them in your smoothies or creamy homemade dressing recipes.
- Cook with friends: Once-a-week set up time to cook with your friends. In just a few hours you can make plenty of meals to freeze and later eat with your family. They’ll be perfect for those crazy busy weeknights when time is short.
- Make fruits and veggies last: Line your refrigerator bins with paper towels to help absorb excess moisture. This will help prevent mold and extend the edible life of your fruits and veggies.
- Stock up! Stock up on sale items when you see them. You can easily re-wrap large amounts of meat and store them in the freezer.
- Dinner themes each week: Have a pre-planned “Meatless Monday,” “Taco Tuesday,” or one night of breakfast for dinner. They’re great ways to cut back on eating out, on the grocery bill, and also create something to look forward to. they also take the guess work out of: “Whats for dinner tonight?”
- Season’s eatings: Buying only fruits and vegetables in season gives you the freshest taste and an immediate savings on the grocery bill.
- Freeze leftover wine: Freeze your unused wine in ice cube trays. They add great flavor to sauces or stock.
- Freeze chicken stock: Freeze your extra chicken stock, as well. This is a great way to add extra flavor to sauces when needed.
- Watch for trends: Certain items go on sale at specific times of the year, like BBQ items around Memorial Day, and baking items around Thanksgiving. You can really save if you stock up during these sales.