Who doesn’t love Oreo’s, right and who of us doesn’t love cupcakes also? Combine the two and you have something special and irresistible on your hands. I have seen two different Oreo cupcake recipes. One version has a chocolate cake base with an Oreo whipped cream frosting. However, this one has a vanilla cake base with lots of Oreo chunks mixed in, with a light and fluffy cream cheese frosting, and an Oreo surprise at the bottom of the cupcake. Today we will focus on the latter, and I will tackle the chocolate cake ones another time.
- 24 Oreo halves with cream filling attached
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped or quartered
- 8 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Oreo cookie crumbs
- 24 Oreo cookie halves
- Preheat the oven to 350`F. Line the wells of two cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners.
- Place an Oreo half in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt, stir together with a fork to blend and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar. Beat together on medium- high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Blend in the egg whites one at a time beating well after each addition. Add vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low-speed, mix in half of the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over mix.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minute, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pans 5 to 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat on medium- high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Blend in the vanilla extract.
- Blend in the confectioners sugar until incorporated and smooth, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on medium low-speed just until incorporated, then increase the speed to medium high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired, sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves.
Source – annies-eats.com