I am starting a canning section here and what better recipe to start off with than bread and butter pickles. If you have never tried canning or pickling, this is a good recipe to start off with. It is so much better than store-bought pickles. They will keep for a very long time. If your family is anything like mine the pickles will be long gone before you even need to think about shelf time. If you need any canning supplies see my store. I have lots of really good canning supplies listed.
- 15 cups sliced pickling cucumbers
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- 4 cups cracked ice
- 2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- Combine cucumbers, onions, salt and ice in a large bowl and mix well.
- Put a weight on and allow to stand 3 hours. (For a weight, I use a plate with a gallon bottle of vinegar or water on top of it).
- Drain thoroughly.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed and mustard seed in a large pot.
- Add drained cucumbers.
- Place pot on medium low heat.
- Bring almost to a boil, but DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- Remove from heat and seal in sterilized jars right away.
- Place sterilized jars for 10 minutes in a hot water bath.
Note* Here is an easy way to sterilize jars:
- Wash them well in hot soapy water and dry them off.
- Place them on a cookie sheet, right side up, at 225°F for 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave them in there until you need them.
Back to Basics 286 5-Piece Home Canning Kit