Y’all have to make these cupcakes. When I first saw these I knew I had to make them. As some of you may know I spent many many years as a Registered Respiratory Therapist working in a hospital, so I just flipped when I saw these hearts. I thought for sure that these were made with a mold and I would not be able to make them at home. Well I was way off base. These are so dang easy to make and they just look so cool.
These can be made with any white cake mix and any flavor buttercream. The trick is really in the cooking and the frosting. While not quite anatomically correct, I am sure this little heart will be a huge hit with all your friends and family especially those in the healthcare field. Happy Halloween my little pretties.
- 20 glass marbles or small balls of tinfoil
- 1 recipe for white cupcake batter
- 2 to 3 cups strawberry jelly or smooth strawberry jam
- 1 recipe for vanilla buttercream frosting
- Red and blue food coloring
- Pastry bag and medium round tip (optional)
- Line cupcake tins with paper liners. Fill the liners two-thirds full with the batter.
- Place 1 marble or tinfoil ball between each liner and the tin. This will make a dent in your cupcake when it bakes to make it heart-shaped.
- Bake the cupcakes as directed in the recipe. If you are using marbles, be careful when removing the cupcakes from the tins because the marbles will be very hot.
- With a small paring knife, cut out a circle about the size of a dime in the center of each cupcake, going about two-thirds of the way in. Pull the little plug of cake out. Cut off the top of this piece (about 1/2 inch thick) and eat or discard the bottom.
- Use a teaspoon or a squeeze bottle to fill the hole part way with the strawberry jelly “blood.” Put the little cake plug back in. Continue with the rest of the hearts.
- Put one-third of the frosting into two separate bowls. Color one bowl of frosting with the red food coloring. Tint the other bowl of the frosting blue. Tint the remaining two-thirds pink.
- Frost the cupcakes with the pink frosting. Make it super smooth by dipping a butter or frosting/palette knife in a bowl of hot water and smoothing it over the top. With the pastry bag or a knife, use the red and blue frosting to make veins on the hearts.
source – adapted from epicurious.com