With the cool weather rolling in I know its time to start cranking that oven up and drying some fruit. If you’ve not drying your own fruit, I have to ask why not? It is so easy to make and makes for a great healthy snack that the kids and adults alike will love, it lasts forever, and it costs next to nothing to make. This recipe is for the regular baked apple chips, I will post my recipe for the spiced apple chips in a bit.
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 apples
- fleur de sel (optional)
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 f. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and oil lightly.
- In a bowl, dissolve the sugar in the lime juice and water. Set aside.
- Using a mandolin, slice the apples into rounds 2 to 3 mm (1/16 inch) thick. Place the slices in the lime juice mixture.
- Drain, then arrange the apple slices on the baking sheets so they don’t touch. Sprinkle with optional ingredients.
- Bake until the apples are dried, about 4 hours, flipping after an hour. Let cool and carefully peel them off the parchment.
- Store in an airtight container. Two apples will fit well in a mason jar.
Note* In humid weather, these chips will soften quickly. Return them to the oven as required