When your home on a cold winters night and in need of something to warm your soul, there is nothing like a big bowl of baked potato soup. For those of you who have been here before you know that I am a self-confessed carb addict. I just love a nice warm bowl of baked potato soup, and this soup is really very good. This soup makes for a great weeknight meal and you can have it on the table in well under an hour.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped onions
- 2 (14 oz.) cans reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 (12 oz.) can PET evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 (4.9 oz.) package Au Gratin Potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sour cream and sliced green onions for garnish
- COOK bacon in 3-quart saucepan until crisp; remove and drain on paper towel. In 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, cook celery and onion for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ADD chicken broth, evaporated milk, pepper and thyme to saucepan. Place potatoes in large resealable plastic bag. Crush potatoes into small pieces using a rolling-pin. Add potatoes and sauce mix to saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer over low heat 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- CRUMBLE cooked bacon, reserving 2 tablespoons for garnish. Stir cheese and remaining bacon into soup until cheese is melted. Ladle into serving bowls; garnish with sour cream, additional shredded cheese, reserved bacon and green onions.